Thursday, July 4, 2013

I Eat Rocks, Trees, Dirt and Bugs Too.

The first day of school is one of the most exciting days of school for many.  Most kids can't wait to see their friends after a long summer vacation.  They are thrilled with new school supplies.  They like to pick out the first day of school outfit.  It is a celebration; a rite of passage.  Well, that wasn't the case for my son.  He let me know, more than *I* wanted, that HE JUST WASN'T GOING TO SCHOOL!

Well, for 5 year old Jack starting kindergarten wasn't an option.  He was going and would be just fine.  I felt for him because he didn't have the traditional pre-school experience, or any pre-school experience for that matter.  He spent his days at a Family Daycare.  It was at a house in a nice neighborhood with other kids although many left for pre-school around the age of three.  Why Jack refused to go to pre-school is a whole other blog post.   He daycare provider, Yaya, worked with Jack and he was "home schooled" for pre-school.  He knew everything the books said he should know so I thought he would be just fine.  The school was the same school his brother attended and we spend a lot of time there.  Jack knew his way around, knew the teachers and a lot of the older kids.  Like any parent, I started to prepare him for school by talking about it, playing it up as the best thing out there and acting excited that he was going to have this great experience.  Well, lets just say I was met with resistance.  And so it began early in the summer...


July 10, 2012
Jack:  It just doesn't make sense?
Me: What doesn't?
Jack:  Why I can't wear make-up.
Me: What do you mean?
Jack:  You say you wear make-up to make you look younger.  If I wore makeup I would look younger and be too young for school.


July 18, 2012
The latest reason Jack doesn’t want to go to Kindergarten…they don’t take naps.   Have you ever known a five-year-old who insists on taking naps?

July 20, 2012
Jack: What are you doing?
Me: Working on a flyer for your school. 
Jack: Oh, you mean Jimmy’s school because I’m not going.

July 23, 2012
Me: Do you want to go and buy a new lunch bag for school?
Jack: No. Why can’t you remember that I’m NOT going to school?

August 5, 2012 
Me: Let's go shopping for school supplies and a new outfit for school.
Jack:  I'm not going.
Me:  What do you mean you aren't going?  We can stop by Toys-R-Us.
Jack:  I'm not going to school so I don't need school supplies.  Why can't you remember?

August 13, 2012
Me: Jack, if you were going to school tomorrow do you think you will like it?
Jack: I’m not going.
Me: Well, if you were going to school tomorrow what would you like for your lunch?
Jack: I’m not going.
Me: Well, if you were going to school tomorrow are you going to wear your new shoes?
Jack: You just don’t get it. I AM NOT GOING. It just doesn’t make sense.
Me: What doesn’t?
Jack: Why do you keep asking me so many questions AND can’t remember I’m not going to school?

We finally made it to the first day of school.  Jack begrudgingly pick out an outfit from his new clothes. We packed his bag, made his lunch, and were out the door.  The tears were being held back by both of us.  For me, my baby was going to start school, and for him, he was going to start school.  We made it to the school and through the check in.  Everything was playing out as planned, no complaining, no tears, no resistance.  That was until we walked into the classroom....


First Day of School — Morning
After an hour and a half, I finally peeled a crying, sobbing 5-year-old off of my body for his first day of Kindergarten.  He still wasn’t going to school and made this comment, “all of the kids are weird looking and so is the teacher.  I just can’t stay here and look at them all day.”

First Day of School Afternoon
After hours (shall I say days or even weeks) of dramatic acting worthy of an Academy Award and comments worthy of a routine at the Comedy Store, Jack decided school was fun.
Me: What changed your mind about school today?
Jack: I stopped crying.
And, that was all it took.

Day 3 of School
 If you didn’t know about day 1, you wouldn’t think what happened was possible. He LOVES school and LOVES all of his new friends.  He’s told everyone who would listen about school, his friends and his beloved STAR dollars.
Jack: It just doesn’t make sense.
Me: What doesn’t?
Jack: Why I am able to behave for two whole days at school.
Me: Well, that is what I hope you would do.
Jack: It is the longest I’ve gone without being naughty.
(Let's hope he keeps it up.)

August 18, 2012 – Jack is in his element.
Me: How was school?
Jack: Good. Lunch was the best.
Me: Why was that?
Jack: My new friend asked why I like eating leaves (spinach). I told her I eat rocks, trees, dirt, and bugs too. Then she made a funny face and it was hilarious.

For all of you parents out there with kids just about starting school and not wanting to go, there is hope….



7 comments:

  1. I love this!!! In my mind, I see it as a rhyming children's story book that parents will love to read. Keep writing -- it is wonderful to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. I never thought of it that way but you might be on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great. My oldest did not want to go to school and we spent about three months with crying almost every morning beforehand and the peeling-the-child-off-of-my-leg thing. My youngest is starting this Fall and seems excited...fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely relate. Good luck with the second one...fingers crossed. : )

      Delete
    2. I can completely relate. Good luck with the second one...fingers crossed. : )

      Delete
  4. How do you have time for a blog?! You are amazing! Next, you need a blog on how to organize your time as a busy mother so you can write a blog. We all want to know how you do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. A lot has to do with all of the hours I am awake...don't sleep much. I wished I was a better writer so I could write more.

      Delete